Described for the first time in 1735, Perricone - also called “Guarnaccio” by the vignerons in Regaleali - has been cultivated on the estate since 1954. From the historic San Lucio vineyard, a selection has enabled the establishment of new vineyards from which this wine comes, rich in polyphenols and spicy aromas, evoking memories of an antique wine tradition.
Once widely planted in Sicily – especially in the provinces of Palermo and Trapani, where it was for many years the only red variety – Perricone (also known as Pignatello) is today a rarity. The clusters are long, often measuring as much as 33 centimetres, conic-cylindrical in shape, and of medium density. The bluish berry is large and round, with thick but not particularly tough skin and a heavy bloom. It produces wines that are relatively high in alcohol though not particularly rich in extract.